11 yo need some pro advice on surf pop up

Have a chat about any general surfing related topics.

11 yo need some pro advice on surf pop up

Postby Markm81 » Sat Jan 31, 2026 5:29 am

Hi, I’m 11 and love surfing but having some problems with pop up- my front leg likes to swing around the side and sometimes even drag in the water- instead of coming straight through. I’ve made two videos showing my pop ups in slo mo-





I would like to get some advice from experienced surfers. I already know I need to look where I want to go,pop and swing my leg through- can do it on land better than in water. Thanks!
Markm81
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2026 5:10 am

Re: 11 yo need some pro advice on surf pop up

Postby jaffa1949 » Sun Feb 01, 2026 3:54 pm

You are doing pretty well but if you watch you videos critically it is noticeable that as you pop up you are already twisting your upper body andrear foot towards the riding stance, this throws your left foot out to the side to compensate, keeping your foot more square will give enough time and room to swing your foot through the middle. Im curious did you do a surf school somewhere that emphasises the jump to riding stance pop up. I‘ll watch a little more :lol:

Another thought, keep your feet still and close together, not kicking as you are for the wave. each kick unbalances you and I notice that if your left leg is kicked high you swing it out more to get around your leg, when you kick less you pop up is more balanced.

The rest of the wave you are progressing well :lol:
I've taken up troll hunting just for fun, instead of a rifle I'll just use a pun! 冲浪爷爷
User avatar
jaffa1949
Surfing Legend
 
Posts: 8237
Likes: 163 posts
Liked in: 2487 posts
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:01 am
Location: The super secret point breaks of Ober Österreich ( how many will notice the change)

Re: 11 yo need some pro advice on surf pop up

Postby waikikikichan » Sun Feb 01, 2026 9:49 pm

As Jaffa said, I also thought it comes from you twisting / torquing your body during the pop up.

Some thoughts:
#1 Left leg swing around isn't as pronounced when you go Back Side. ( maybe due to you standing more upright )

#2 You are just letting go of your hands off the deck after you plant your feet. ( you need to "explode" off the deck, not just release your grip )

#3 You need to "Clear Space" so your Left leg can come through. You are crouched down compacted so much that the Left leg gets blocked.
Imagine getting stuck in a small crawl space. You could be more upright and have an easier time moving around if you raised up the roof/ceiling.

So how do you increase the void between the deck and your chest ?
Straighten your arms out fully.
Locking out your elbows.
Raise up your butt higher, as high as it can go.
Explode your hands, push hard off the deck to throw your upper body UP and BACK.
Use your CORE muscles to swing your legs forward. Throwing / Rotating your legs under your butt.

There is a practice technique I want you to try, but I will wait until you comment back.

Note 2: You surf great once you are up. Great arm positioning setting up your carves.
User avatar
waikikikichan
Surf God
 
Posts: 4816
Likes: 95 posts
Liked in: 2444 posts
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:35 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan


Similar topics

Your Best,Wave, Surf, Story do tell us sharing!
RELATED: Surf Chat
Author: jaffa1949
Replies: 84
Girls/Women who surf
RELATED: Surf Chat
Author: surf style
Replies: 17
Return to Surf Chat